Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Fun Parts of My Job...

I know, I am a bit behind on this blog.  I have good excuses like flying and traveling to Logan, UT for  bike ride with my sisters (a blog on that to come).

Today, we had out annual skills lab.  We get to practice skills such as intubations, needle darts, surgical airways, etc.  I have never done any of this.  The company flew in the crews from our other bases.  Let's just say there were a few big egos in the room, and a few of the guys were flexing their muscles.  One had no problem letting me know that intubations were just old hat and no problem in a condescending- I'm a paragod, kind of way.  I asked him to leave.  I am scared to do this.  I have seen experts fail.  But our medical director from Phoenix was there with a resident and they were very patient with me.

I'm practicing a surgical airway on a pig trachea.

I had to practice a lot!


Last week I was able to take a little time to hike around the canyon here in Chinle.   It is known as Canyon de Chelly (pronounced d'Shay).  It is a beautiful canyon with many ancient ruins.  It is protected and you need a guide to access most of the canyon.  But there is one hike down to White House Ruins that you can do without a guide.

Will, my friend, and I were hiking down to White House when we stopped to sit in a little alcove.  A bat flew into the alcove.  Will took off running like a scared little boy.  Will is a grown 6'4" big strong guy.  He left me there as bat bait.  He claims he was trying to distract the bat away from me.  I know the real truth.



This is White House Ruins

Beautiful Arizona sunset taken from the canyon rim.

So I hope ya'll will come visit sometime, and we can go hiking down in the canyon.  Plus, you can check out all "the res" has to offer.  Will said, "I have heard you talk about this place and describe it, but this is something you just can't even fathom until you see it in person."

No comments:

Post a Comment